Monday, June 30, 2003

Busy

Who would have thought that my time off could be busier than my days at work.

Getting Ready
Getting ready for vacation has been a little hectic and keeping me very busy. I've also got some family things going on (good things) and I'm trying to fit in various social activity before I fly off on Wednesday.

Mini Chock-a-Block
Despite all that, I've been able to finish the back of MCaB.



I would have been done a little earlier, but realized that my design was one row of blocks short of the size I was shooting for. So I had to modify the graphic, and rebalance the color and design patterning by adding the new row of blocks. Overall, I'm happy with how it's coming out.

Next Design Ideas
Thanks everyone for their ideas on a contrast color for the new design. One of the good things about the MCaB is that I am using the color Sunrise, and so I've gotten a sense about how some of the Jamieson colors work with Sunrise. Here are some of the areas where Sunrise mixes with other colors.



I will only be using a very little of contrast color. Probably on the cuff and on the collar, so I can go a little wild. I'm thinking that the Moss (#3) might be very funky, but then again the Ivy (#9) would be very handsome. I still have lots of time, so I'm open to suggestions.

Reader Comments
First of all, let me apologize to Marcus (the self-identified "kind reader who sent me the Escher graphic). This entry won't make it any better, but I should at least explain myself.

Marcus sent me the beautiful graphic a couple of weeks ago, and I kept meaning to include it in the blog. By the time I finally got around to remembering, the original e-mail was no longer in my AOL mail account. For the life of me, I couldn't remember who had sent it. The moment I read Marcuses comment, it all came back to me, but it's clear my mind is leaving.

Ann asks whose designs are the Chock-a-Block patterns. These are my own designs, which will hopefully be published in a book of men's sweaters, designed by men.

Finally, Julie gave one of the best tips I've heard yet in all my knitting years.

The Koigu Cross Stitch scarf uses a pattern stitch that calls for wrapping the yarn 4 times around the needle.



Not only does that require a very long needle when you're doing the scarf with 225 stitches, but it also makes it very difficult to move the yarn over the needle. If you've ever done this pattern stitch, you'll know what I mean. Changing to a bigger needle and only wrapping twice is a huge time saver on this scarf. I'm going to have to make another one of these using her technique. Thank you Julie.

0 comments: