Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Colors, Colors, Colors

Interesting and unconventional combinations of colors have always been incredibly appealing for me.

Brother/Sister-in-law Gift
My sister-in-law (this one is "in-law", she's my brother's wife) is an artist and art teacher. Each year, she and my brother make interesting gifts for Christmas. I always like when they do art-related gifts, because her sense of color is both unconventional, and yet very beautiful.

This past year, they made us a set of 8 ceramic nesting bowls, but they hadn't gotten time to glaze them before we visited them for the holidays.

We just recently got to see them, and got the finished bowls.



I have to say that this is the most frustrating time to have a camera and monitor that don't fully reflect the colors of the subject matter. The inside glaze on some of these bowls is a glittery brown color that is indescribeably beautiful.

Sock Knitting Race
Speaking of colors, I got some work done on the Regia socks. The ones I'm racing Lisa to finish (or at least the second pair, since I'm ripping out the first sock tonight).



These colors look better when knit up than I expected, but I'm still not overly thrilled with them.

Also, speaking of Sock Knitting, Wendy has her monthly contest on free sock patterns for those who'd like to participate.

Reader Comments/Questions
Kathy asks what I plan on doing with the Weavette squares.

When she says "We don't like to sew", I'm assuming she means the royal "we". I actually don't mind sewing at all, as long as it's not on a machine.

I plan on eventually sewing them together into a blanket or something. I saw a great display at Stitches where the Weavette lady had made a quilt-like, small blanket using different sizes of Weavette cloths. Mayble I'll try something like that.

Sammi asks if I'm using the Regia Stretch for my current sock.

No, it's the regular Regia yarn without Lycra. I'm not a real fan of stretch yarns, although I've done a couple of sweaters in DK weight cotton/lycra in the past.

Sean says that it's comforting to know a knitting "expert" (and he is charitable in his description) has to rip out occasionally.

It seems that the better I get at knitting, the more I rip out. I have gotten much more particular with how a finished garment should look, and I have also gotten faster at redoing a ripped out section. Personally, I think if you're not ripping out knitting relatively frequently, you're either not challenging yourself creatively, or you're not as concerned about mistakes in your knitting.

Finally, a number of you agreed or disagreed on my opinions of the magazines.

I'm going to add to that to say three things:

1. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that saw that awful mistake on the boob tube (I'd consider it a mistake, and obviously Alexis wasn't craft enough to hide both sides of weird holes.

2. I love the look of wraps, but wouldn't make one. I don't know of anyone who'd wear one. I'd consider making them as baby blankets, though.

3. I love that we all have differing, yet strong opinions on design. It makes the commenting forum interesting for me.

0 comments: