Friday, May 21, 2004

Being Understood

Whether it's the satisfaction of creating fabric from string, or desiring agreement on tipping practices, it's always great to have folks that really understand me.

Knitters
I was talking with my next door neighbor yesterday. He was installing shocks on a car he built from a kit. Not usually a topic I would care very much about.

However, he has a metal lathe in his house, and he had to use the lathe to modify the very long bolt needed to secure the shocks onto his car.

I was fascinated enough about the ability to create a custom bolt, that I crawled underneath his car to see his handiwork. It was nothing short of perfect.

As part of discussing his perfectly crafted bolt, he said it must be a very similar satisfaction I get from creating sweaters.

It was nice to be so understood.

Interweave Knits - Summer 2004
I just picked up the newest issue.



Has this been out for a while or did it just come out later than Knitters and Family Circle Easy Knitting?

Anyway, overall, there was nothing in the magazine that I hated. There were a couple of things I really liked, and the rest was boring.

There are about 22 knitting patterns in the magazine.

I really liked the Gibson Girl Pullover by Shirley Paden. I especially liked how she did the button-up section on the back. I also liked Shirley's Cropped Cross-Stitch Top. Not because it's great, but because she used the Indian Cross Stitch pattern stitch I used in my Koigu scarf, and she used it pretty well.

The Victoria Tank by VĂ©ronik Avery was quite nicely done, and interesting. The stitch pattern looked good, and I liked her delicate edging. The Lace Blouson by Kim Dolce (the cover sweater) was pretty good too. I'm not a fan of the ribbon threaded through the waist, but other than that, I liked it.

The ever-talented Annie Modesitt has a couple of fun little items in the Bright Gifts section. Hers are the only designs in that section worth looking at. Especially the Fiestaware dishes.

The Juliet Pullover by Robin Melanson is very fine. Both in terms of the look, as well as the gauge (almost 7 stitches to the inch). And finally, I loved Cat Bordhi's Streaming Leaves Shawl. It's more like a blanket, and the only thing I would consider actually making in this issue, unless asked by a sister or niece for one of the other designs.

There is one article I found interesting on unusual fibers being used for knitting, and I was pretty dissappointed in the article on two-color knitting. I don't think it would be overly useful for someone learning because of it's lack of pictures.

Fortunately, I'm not in need of two-color knitting instructions.

Fashion of The Christ Knitting
I was able to finish another pattern repeat, and it's getting easier as I go along.



Now as I get closer to the arm hole placement, I'll have to take great care. As Marilyn mentioned (again), it has been my downfall in previous Fair Isles.

0 comments: