Friday, March 24, 2006

A Gay Knitter...

...and his toys!

Had To Have
I don't knit much with straight needles (I mean, they're straight afterall), but when I saw these... JoAnn's last night, I just had to have them.

They are see-through acrylic with gold sparkles and are in sizes between US8 and US17. They're practically like the fairy princess' magic wands fercrhissakes. They will have to come up with a different name for these not-so-straight needles.

I also bought some clearance yarn that was 60% off.

It's Moda Dea Fresh ribbon made of acrylic and nylon. I don't know what I'll do with it, but it was 60% off and it was brainer there.

Current Knitting
I finished up the last shaping on the faux rib cap, and while pictures don't do it justice, it's a very nice hat.

I'll try to find someone who looks good in hats model it for me so I can show how happy it would make anyone who wears it.

Next Project
I have no idea.

Actually, I have lots of ideas, I just don't know which one I'll pursue.

Readers' Comments/Questions
Mhairi asks, "The cap looks good, but can I ask, what is faux rib?"

Faux rib can be a lot of things. The first faux rib I did was on my sock knitting machine. I deactivated every third needle, and the small gap created in the fabric created the look of a 2x1 rib. But in the case of the hat I just finished, it's basically a sl1, P1 on the first round and an all knit on the second, which has two benefits. One, it's simpler to do than ribbing because every other round is a simple knit round, and two, it doesn't stretch/pull in as much as regular rib, wich is exactly what I was looking for in this fabric.


KTC said...

Hi there! Your blog is great. I've just got one question. You're the first person to show the needles I've been looking for in a year of searching.

Could you please tell me the brand name? Please? I actually saw them when I first learned to knit nearly one year ago (as of 20 June, 2006) but I couldn't afford them then.

Any help you could offer is more than welcome and appreciated.

Happy knitting! :)