Monday, November 09, 2009

Are You a Misfit?


I'm reading a lot lately of folks that consider themselves to be misfits...even among their own self-identified group of people.



Not Since High School
I haven't felt this way since High School.

There were certain areas where I had a lot of confidence in high school...French class, my part-time job, and at times with my friend Colleen. But for the most part, I felt like a complete misfit. Part of it was rejection by those peers from whom I sought some sort of validation...but the larger part was a self-identified isolation.

As a gay man in an allegedly predominantly heterosexual World, and one who has adopted a hobby that is certainly not mainstream, I think being a misfit would be a likely result. But when you take away the self-identification part, I find that those aberrant characteristics only serve to make me more interesting and multi-dimensional.

Or perhaps self-delusional.

Current Knitting
Was glad to get home to finish my latest sweater project, and I am very grateful to Todd for pulling together such a great pattern (he's also pulled together a Men's Knitting Retreat for this upcoming weekend in the Midwest...busy guy!).









I made a slight change to the sleeve. I figured since it was going to be a pretty warm sweater used on colder days, then I would rib the sleeve cuffs. I'll see what I can do to try and get Thaddeus to model the sweater for y'all...but don't hold your collective breath.

Readers' Comments/Questions
RaenCT asks, "Whats Birmingham like? My husband finally found a job in Birmingham (after a year of unemployment) and will be leaving in a month to start and find a new home for us. I have never been."

I've been down there quite a bit, and it's like most places...there are some wonderful parts and some less than wonderful parts. My experience of Birmingham is very limited...I stayed a great old hotel (the Tutweiler) and walked to my client. I went to a couple of very nice restaurants (John's City Diner and Little Savannah), but other than that, I can really only discuss the airport (which is small, but easy to manage).

Lesleyd271 writes, "In Birmingham AL still? That's where I am! shoot me an email if you want to catch a drink and some knits!!"

No...I actually just finished at that client, and most probably won't be back. Sorry to have missed you.

blog comments powered by Disqus
blog comments powered by Disqus